Arbitrary Randomness
Monday, July 29, 2002
 
Like the Amazon HateHateHate, I am not telling you that you shouldn't do business with a certain bank that starts with a "C" and ends in an "omerica", but I will just tell you my story.

Here's the boring background information (actually, this entire entry might be boring):

When I opened my checking account at said bank, I already had a savings account with them, and was told that since i had a savings account with them, I could get an interest bearing checking account, that required a minimum balance, but that the checking and savings account would be linked, so as long as I maintained a minimum balance in either the checking or the savings, I would be OK.

So I opened the checking account (this was like 7 or 8 years ago). About 2 years ago, I noticed I started getting a maintenance fee, and thought it was a new monthly fee that they started charging for checking accounts (which I should have questioned right then, but that is what happened at my other bank, which is why I switched in the first place). Being the procrastinator that I am, I never got around to doing anything about switching banks to get a no fee checking.

January of this year, I found out that there isn't a monthly fee, and that I was being charged a maintenance fee for being under my minimum balance. I went in to question it, and found out that somehow they had my account linked to someone else's account, thus going under the minimum balance, and charging me the fee. They were supposed to correct it.

May came by, and they still hadn't corrected it. I went back in, and had the past few months credited back to me, and I was told that it was fixed and that I shouldn't get anymore charges. My latest statement came, and I got charged a maintenance fee AGAIN.

As of noon today, I am no longer a customer of the bank that shares the name with the Tigers' home field.

I couldn't see their secret screen to their computer, but I got the impression that my account accidentally got linked to one of my parents' account. My question is, if i would have overdrawn from my checking account, would it have pulled money from their account? I felt like the security of my money was threatened.

I sent an email after the May/June incident, and said that I was worried about the security of my money with said bank, and that if I wasn't convinced otherwise, I would take my business elsewhere. The reply email said that they apologize for the problem. It contained nothing to assure me of the security of my money in the future.

I'm not telling you not to go there, I am just warning you to check your statements, and question any charge that may look like a "normal" charge.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger