Arbitrary Randomness
Tuesday, July 31, 2001
 
OK, as stated many times in this blog, I am not a baseball purist, so maybe I'm missing something, but I had to comment on what I heard on 1270 yesterday. During the Lockerroom show, they were talking about Ricky Henderson stealing second in the 7th inning when they were up by 7 runs, and how it was wrong of Henderson to steal second since they were up by so many. Now I am one against running up the score in college football to increase your ranking in the polls, but I don't see this as running up the score. For one, Ricky Henderson is known for stealing bases. That's what he does. Second, it's only the 7th inning. There are two more innings after this one. Although 7 runs is a comfortable lead, I don't think that it's a guaranteed win, especially in todays games.

I did some quick research, and two days earlier, Milwaukee had two consecutive 3 run innings. What's to say that they couldn't accomplish that again? Lopes (or whatever the pitcher's name is) have no confidence in his team? If the game was over, why did they even come out and play the last few innings? They could just walk into the lockerroon, and avoid the chance of injury, and get home early enough to catch "Jackass" on MTV.

Earlier in the month, in a game versus San Francisco, Milwaukee had one 5 run inning, and two 3 run innings. It's not out of the possibility for Milwaukee to score 7 runs in a two inning span. In this game versus SF, in the 8th inning, Milwaukee was up 10-3, and hit a 3-run homer.... maybe they should have obeyed the "unwritten rules" and not hit the ball so hard. How is that different than stealing second???

On top of complaining, this is the quote from Lopes:
"You keep doing things like that and you'll get one of your players hurt. I told him to stay in the game because he was going on his ass. We were going to drill him, but he chose not to stay in the game. I left no uncertain terms what was going to happen. There is a right way to play this game and a wrong way. That was totally unprofessional."

Totally unprofessional????? Oh my gosh. What is more unprofessional then INTENTIONALLY hitting someone with a ball??

Am I missing something here?? Please tell me if I'm wrong!!!!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger