Arbitrary Randomness
Thursday, June 21, 2001
 
It's not a lie if you believe it's true....

If i tell you something that isn't true, but in my mind, it is true, am I technically lying to you??

Let's say there is a jar of pickles.... and I counted the pickles, and counted 14 pickles, but I mis-counted, and there are only 13 pickles. If i tell you that there are 14 pickles in the jar, am I lying to you?? If I took a lie detector test, I think i would pass, because as far as I know, I am telling the truth. Even though I am not telling the truth.... am I lying???

Merriam Webster defines a lie as:
verb
1 : to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive
2 : to create a false or misleading impression
noun
1 a : an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker to be untrue with intent to deceive b : an untrue or inaccurate statement that may or may not be believed true by the speaker

According to Verb definition 1 and Noun definition 1a, I think that I wouldn't be lying, since there is no intent to deceive. Although Verb 2 and Noun 1b, I would be lying, because I am creating a false impression that there are 14 pickles (even though it is not intentional).

OK, i've gone on way too long on something that really doesn't matter.... Got any more football questions Russ??
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger